Saturday, September 19, 2009

The First Time to Cañon de los Embudos



Thanks to all my Tucson listeners. Look up Bill Cavaliere, who now lives in Arizona, near the town of Rodeo. I misspoke. I mentioned the talk that Bill and Ed Sweeney will give is in Portal, Arizona. I recalled that Bill said it was actually at the Rodeo Community Center, somewhere EAST of the Arizona - New Mexico Line. I will contact Bill and see if I can get the specifics, but he said the presentation would be SUNDAY, 27 September, 2009. Keep your eyes posted and I'll have more. Google "Bill Cavaliere," and you'll see a previously published article on trips he's made into Cañon de los Embudos, Chihuahua, Mexico.
These photos were taken in 2006, when Bill took a group of us folks down into Cañon de los Embudos.
I talked with Bill today, and he confirmed that the drug situation in and along the American-(New Mexican-Arizona) Mexican line was very dangerous. I know that Skeleton Cañon, which begins in Arizona but runs into New Mexico, has been a smuggler's/illegal immigrant/drug runner corridor for many years. Skeleton Cañon is now closed, and there are signs warning folks that they should travel at their own risk. This is a serious, and legitimate claim, and I believe Bill, who has wanted to take another group to Cañon de los Embudos, is only looking out for our safety.
I, too, am one who would love to go there, but, it may be one "hike [into Apacheria," that will not happen again any time soon.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home